Sunday, 29 April 2012

Paris Disney - Sunday 29 April

I think Disney has lost its magic with me. Maybe a bit unfortunate, but such is life. Words and phrases I can use to best describe Paris Disney parks - cheese factor, All - American, sterile, crowded and good for families with small children, but not for 34 year old single women. Got up at about 6:30am this this morning to make my way down to the bus depot that was conducting the day tour by 7:45am. Traffic into town was easy and didn't take too long to get there and it is quite easy to get there. Vry drizzly day in Paris - its been unusually wet and cold for this time of year and i dont think in the whole time I've been in France, I've had a day above 15 degrees and without any rain. Dozed most of the way (as well as most of the other passengers) to the park. Got there just before 9:00am and had to walk quite a fair way to the entrance in the pouring rain - I had a 2 park pass, so I could go to both the main park and also Walt Disney Studios. Got to the entrance about 9:10am and had to wait in a massive queue for about over half an hour until the park opened. As was walking along towards the entrance (there we also some travellators, which made things easier, could hear all the familiar tunes to all the Disney songs coming over the PA. throughout the whole park, the music didn't ease up either! After entering the park, walked into Main Street, which is a recreation of an American main street in the eyes of Walt Disney. Most of it was kitschy types of shops that sold 'old fashioned sodas', newspapers, photo outlets and some food. Most of it, on the other hand were merchandise shops. Got something small to eat for breakfast - yoghurt, fruit salad and a coffee and had to stand in the pouring rain as there was limited indoor seating where I bought my food. Walked up to Fanatsy Land and went onto 'Its a small world'. I know it's cheesy, but still can't go to Disneyland without going on the badge and experiencing that. All day, since, I've had that tune stuck in my head. The ride wasn't too bad. Then went to the Mad Hatter's Tea Cups and had a bit of a go on that. Next place was, really the only place in the whole park I wanted to see, which was the Alice in Wonderland maze. Unfortunately, either because it's Sunday in France (where most people don't work, so they may not have had the staff) or because of the wet conditions, the maze was closed - very disappointing. Caught the train around the park and did one full circuit. Stopped off at the Discoverland, where I had the worst meal I have eaten in Europe during my entire holiday in Buzz Lightyear's Rocket Pizza. It was a pizza, salad and dessert all you can eat buffet; but I couldn't even eat a full slice of pizza, let alone the salad or dessert. Went to go on Space Mountain, but the queues were massive, so opted out and walked around doing a little bit of shopping. I didn't end up on going anymore rides in Disneyland, just tried to dodge the masses of crowds with small children (sorry, I had to say that!). After about 3 hours in Disneyland, most of which was shopping - most shops have the same things, but there are some differences and daily specials very between each store - I walked across to Walt Disney Studios. A little more to my liking as they had cinematic experiences, where one of the staff over dramatised his explanation of how animation characters are created alongside the dragon from Mulan. Walked around a lot more, saw the Monsters Inc *small* display (I like Pixar animation and Monsters Inc would have to be my favourite) and then, because, I was so hungry because I didn't really eat anything at lunch, grabbed another buffet; which wasn't too bad, but I still left three quarters of it on my plate. The best part of the meal was the wine I got with it! Lol! By then it was after 3:30pm and I was over the whole thing. I wasn't due to leave the two parks until 7:15pm this evening; but I jumped on the train and got back into Paris upon my own volition. Made it back, wet, cold, hungry and unhappy to my hotel in Montparnasse around 5:00pm. I knew that if I wasn't on time at the bus collection point, it would have let without me anyway, so I wasn't too greatly worried about leaving early. Had a quick shower and went downstairs to collect my laundry from the hotel laundry service (I handed it in last night), only to find that they haven't returned the laundry as it is Sunday and the laundry service is closed! Still without any clothes since finishing up my first tour and am now down to a pair of cargo pants. Have heaps of underwear and tops, but I need some jeans! :/

1 comment:

  1. I share your pain!! I think the disappointment of missing out on the one thing you want to see/do sours the experience. (For me it was Florence and Gallileo's finger but that's another story).
    I am enjoying your musings! Hope the weather improves and you get some clothes or that could make REALLY interesting reading...
    Stay safe and happy.

    ReplyDelete