Saturday, 28 April 2012
Bruge - Monday 23 April
Went to Bruge today. A later start, which was nice, as it there had been a few early morning starts to get as much crammed in as possible and then we've been getting back quite late in the afternoon / evening. The town was nice to walk around, but I found it to be a bit too touristy for my liking - horse drawn carriages, canal rides and heaps of Belgium chocolate shops and shops that sold souvenirs. I didn't get up to much, went to eat in one of the cafes alongside the square and then had a little wander around and did a little bit of shopping. I bought some Birkenstocks for €25 (on sale), chocolate, lace and some other bits and pieces to send home. The postage ended up costing nearly €70 and nearly defeated the purpose of buying cheap shoes and odds and ends. A bit of a non event morning / early afternoon for me.
Also, went to the Tyrench of Death, where the Belgium people fought in close proximity against the Germans. Nearby, there is a massive Peace Memorial, where it says words to the effect of 'No more war'. The structure promoted Belgium identity / nationalism and there were attempts in the early 1930's to destroy the monument.
On the way back, one of the places we stopped at was Essex Farm, where John McCrae wrote the poem 'In Flanders' Fields'. I was a bit mesmerised by visiting the cemetery there as it was the first time I had seen soldiers that had died on 14th January, including a 15 year old boy. Also found another VC recipient. Saw the medical stations where John McCrae would have worked as a medical officer and was last on the bus. They must have been waiting a while as when I got on board, everyone on the bus started to clap and cheer me. A bit embarrassing. By I was happy to ham it up a bit for them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment