Long day! An early start with having to be up at 6:20am and on the coach by 8:00am. 12 hours and I was extremely tried by the end of it all. Spent most of the time talking with the woman next to me, who is close to my age and a current serving Air Force traffic controller in Townsville.
Stopped off first at the Moët and Chandon champagne cellars in Epernay, whee we were taken on a tour of the underground cellars and shown how they make those delightful bubble for both Moët & Chandon and also Dom Perignon. I had the opportunity to buy some bottles for later on, the prices were really cheap, but like with most things, it it the cost if either posting or bringing back in my luggage to be a problem.
Next stop was Reims, and had a lunch of Ham and Cheese baguette. Walked to the local Maccas to use the toilet, and bought a few of their Macarons (I haven't eaten any fast food since being away!). The toilet was an embarrassing experience, where I know I was talked about in rapid French afterwards! I then went to the local cathedral, also called Notre Dame, and this time went inside and had a quick wander around, before being herded into to bus.
We then went to Mont St Quentin, Peronne, one of the 2nd Battalion's major battles during the First World War. Walked around the German offensive line and saw where the AIF would have come up through the valley. There was a memorial to the 2nd Btn - one of the more unusual, as it is of an Australian solider, rather than the usual obelisk or plinth that can be found, both overseas and Australia. Within he surrounding area, there were quaint signs and some gates to a house with a kangaroo and emu on the front.
Brief pit stop near the Belguim border at a major service station. Amazed at the food available! Everything was so fresh, well prepared and presented. Not just some wilting sandwiches and hot pies we're used it, but roasts, flans, pastries, cheeses, meats, mousses, baguettes; etc.
Got into Ypres pretty late - well after 7:30pm. Enough time to drop the bags and go downstairs for a delicious roast beef meal - one of the best roasts I've ever had! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment